The Aim and objectives of the Commission are:
“The Church has always venerated the divine Scripture as she venerated the Body of the Lord… She has always regarded, and continues to regard the Scriptures, taken together with sacred Tradition, as the supreme rule of the faith. For, since they are inspired by God and committed to writing once and for all time, they present God’s own Word in an unalterable form, and they make the voice of the Holy Spirit sound again and again in the words of the prophets and apostles. It follows that all the preaching of the Church, as indeed the entire Christian religion, should be nourished and ruled by sacred Scripture. In the sacred books the Father who is in heaven comes lovingly to meet His Children, and talks with them. And such is the force and power of the Word of God that it can serve the Church as her support and vigour, and the children of the Church as strength for their faith, food for their souls, and a pure and lasting fount of spiritual life” (DEI VERBUM, art 21).
On the basis of the above article of DEI VERBUM (DOGMATIC CONSTITUTION ON DIVINE REVELATION), the Commission commits itself to the faith formation of the faithful in the Archdiocese of Kuching through the reading, study and use in prayer of the Bible, taken together with the sacred Tradition of the Church, as God’s word.
- Foster the centrality of the word of God to the life and ministry of the Church
- Make the Bible readily available and encourage Catholic families to possess a copy
- Encourage all literate Catholics to read the Bible regularly and use it in prayer
- Put Catholics in touch with God’s word:
- by giving them a basic but sound understanding of the Bible
- by making use of the bible as the primary source of the Church’s teaching (Catechism)
- Help them to live the Word of God in their concrete situations through the actualization of the Bible